5 Facts About Sciatic Pain
- Sciatic pain refers to pain in the distribution of the sciatic nerve, which has its roots originating in the lower back, and predominately travels into the buttock, down the back of the thigh, calf and into the foot.
- Sciatic pain is a symptom! Most commonly it is due to a lumbar disc bulge or disc herniation, lumbar spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) or muscle spasm/tightness in the low back or buttocks.
- Sciatic pain can present with the following:
- Lower back pain
- Gluteal or buttock pain
- Pain radiating into one or both legs, typically down to the calf muscles
- Numbness, burning or tingling into the legs or feet
- Medical or electro-acupuncture has been shown to significantly reduce sciatic pain symptoms, as well as improve an individual’s function and movement!
- HLHC can help! We have a fantastic team of health care practitioners, including chiropractors, physiotherapists, acupuncture providers & massage therapists. All cases will vary, however typically sciatic pain symptoms will benefit from a combination of therapeutic options, including electro-acupuncture (mentioned above), joint mobilizations or adjustments, nerve flossing techniques, massage and progressive exercise programs!
Holland Landing Health Centre is located in East Gwillimbury, Ontario, which services Holland Landing, Newmarket, Aurora, Keswick and Bradford areas. If you are interested in chiropractic treatment please contact Holland Landing Health Centre at 905-853-7900 or via e-mail at [email protected]
Zhang, Xue, et al. “A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing the Effectiveness of Electroacupuncture versus Medium-Frequency Electrotherapy for Discogenic Sciatica.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2017 (2017).