5 Shopping Tips to Prevent Pain
The holidays are an exciting time of year; however facing the hectic crowds at the mall to buy that last minute gift can take a huge toll on your body. Prolonged walking, standing and heavy lifting can lead to sore muscles, joints and even headaches. Check out 5 tips to help prevent muscle and joint pain over the holidays!
- Plan ahead! Before even leaving your home research the products you plan to buy. Find the stores and plan out the most efficient route to hit each store in the least amount of time. BONUS: try to visit popular stores during the weekdays instead of the weekend when it tends to be more hectic.
- Take frequent breaks! The crowds, and unfortunately lineups can be extremely long during this time of year! If you are at the mall for 3-4 hours ensure that you take at least a 5-minute break every 30 minutes.
- Bring back up! Picking up a heavier item for someone? Have a large grocery list? Bring a family member to assist and help prevent a repetitive sprain injury!
- Bring a small purse! The weight of your purse can add up quickly. If you find yourself constantly shifting your purse from shoulder to shoulder, chances are the purse it is too heavy for you. On longer shopping trips try to bring only the bare essentials (i.e. cellphone, credit card, etc.)
- Wear comfy shoes! Forget the heels or heavy winter boots. Your feet carry the weight of your entire body, so when your feet are sore it can affect your entire kinetic chain including your ankles, knees, hips and low back pain
If you have any questions please contact Holland Landing Health Centre in East Gwillimbury ON, which services Holland Landing, Newmarket, Aurora, Keswick and Bradford areas, at 905-853-7900 or via e-mail at [email protected]!